Close Menu
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Tech Entrepreneurship: Eliminating waste and eliminating scarcity

July 17, 2024

AI for Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners

July 17, 2024

Young Entrepreneurs Succeed in Timor-Leste Business Plan Competition

July 17, 2024
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Prosper planet pulse
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
    • Advertise with Us
  • AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
  • Contact
  • DMCA Policy
  • Our Authors
  • Terms of Use
  • Shop
Prosper planet pulse
Home»Politics»US officials say the US has suspended bomb shipments to Israel over concerns that they could be used in the Rafah invasion.
Politics

US officials say the US has suspended bomb shipments to Israel over concerns that they could be used in the Rafah invasion.

prosperplanetpulse.comBy prosperplanetpulse.comMay 8, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read0 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Majidi Fatih/NURPHO/AP

On May 7, 2024, displaced Palestinians arrive in Khan Yunis with their belongings after leaving Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip following an evacuation order by the Israeli military as the conflict continues between Israel and the Palestinian Hamas movement. .



CNN
—

The United States has suspended shipments of bombs to Israel over concerns that they could be used in the Rafah invasion, U.S. officials said.

The shipment, which was put on hold last week, includes 1,800 bombs weighing 2,000 pounds and 1,700 bombs weighing 500 pounds.

“We are particularly focused on the end use of the 2,000-pound bomb and the impact it could have on a dense urban environment, as we have seen in other parts of Gaza,” the official said. Stated.

CNN reported over the weekend that one ammunition shipment to Israel had been suspended, but the reason was unclear.

Israeli leaders have warned for weeks that an invasion of the southern Gaza city of Rafah would happen at some point in the future, despite the United States and others saying publicly that such a ground operation should not take place. I’ve done it. The Biden administration is calling for a comprehensive plan to protect the more than 1 million civilians sheltering in Rafah and avoid an escalation of the humanitarian catastrophe unfolding in the coastal enclave.

On Monday, Israel carried out what the United States described as a “limited” operation in Rafah, taking over a border crossing with Egypt that is a critical lifeline for humanitarian aid.

“This appears to be a limited operation, but of course a lot of that depends on what happens next,” State Department spokesman Matt Miller said Tuesday. “I think it’s clear that it’s no secret that they want to carry out a large-scale military operation there. We have made it clear that we are opposed to such an operation. .”

The United States and Israel are in regular contact about the Israeli military’s plans to carry out a large-scale ground operation in southern Gaza, but the administration has made clear that the plan is not yet ready.

“We’ve seen some kind of concept, but there are no details at this point,” Pentagon spokesman Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said at a Monday news conference.

Still, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly said a ground operation in Rafah is necessary to keep pressure on Hamas to release the remaining hostages and achieve victory. As Israeli leadership nears a final decision, the U.S. has begun considering a proposed transfer to Israel of certain weapons that could be used in Rafah, U.S. officials said. The review process began in April and led to the suspension of shipments of two types of bombs.

“We have not yet made a final decision on how to proceed with this shipment,” the official said.

Among the largest conventional weapons in the U.S. arsenal, 2,000-pound bombs can have devastating effects, especially in populated areas like Gaza. Heavy ammunition can leave huge craters and send deadly fragments hundreds of feet away from the impact site. His CNN analysis of satellite images from the early days of the war found more than 500 impact craters consistent with the use of one-ton bombs.

Ali Jadara/Anadolu/Getty Images

A man sits on rubble and reacts as Palestinians conduct search and rescue operations after a second round of shelling by Israeli forces at Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza on November 1, 2023.

Mark Garlasco, a former U.S. defense intelligence analyst and former U.N. war crimes investigator, said in December that the intensity of Israeli shelling in Gaza during the first month was “the highest since Vietnam.”

The US is also considering the possibility of selling or transferring other munitions to Israel, including joint direct attack munitions (JDAM) kits, the official said. However, the source added that these transfers are not imminent and will likely take place in the future.

The Pentagon did not comment on questions about the suspension of shipments, but insisted that none of it changes the U.S. commitment to the defense of Israel.

“Our commitment to Israel’s security remains steadfast,” Pentagon Deputy Press Secretary Sabrina Singh said at a briefing Tuesday. “Since October 7, you have seen us ramp up security assistance to Israel. Therefore, we will not comment further, but our commitment to Israel’s security remains the same.” I can say that.”



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
prosperplanetpulse.com
  • Website

Related Posts

Politics

Biden, Democrats, Republicans condemn shooting at Trump rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

President Trump safe in shooting under investigation as assassination attempt

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump injured in shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

New York politicians react to possible shooting – NBC New York

July 14, 2024
Politics

Melania Trump not planning to speak at Republican Convention

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump rushes off stage after shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 13, 2024
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

The rule of law is more important than feelings about Trump | Opinion

July 15, 2024

OPINION | Biden needs to follow through on promise to help Tulsa victims

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Why China is off-limits to me now

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Fast food chains’ value menu wars benefit consumers

July 15, 2024
Latest Posts

ATLANTIC-ACM Announces 2024 U.S. Business Connectivity Service Provider Excellence Awards

July 10, 2024

Costco’s hourly workers will get a pay raise. Read the CEO memo.

July 10, 2024

Why a Rockland restaurant closed after 48 years

July 10, 2024

Stay Connected

Twitter Linkedin-in Instagram Facebook-f Youtube

Subscribe