Close Menu
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Tech Entrepreneurship: Eliminating waste and eliminating scarcity

July 17, 2024

AI for Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners

July 17, 2024

Young Entrepreneurs Succeed in Timor-Leste Business Plan Competition

July 17, 2024
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Prosper planet pulse
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
    • Advertise with Us
  • AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
  • Contact
  • DMCA Policy
  • Our Authors
  • Terms of Use
  • Shop
Prosper planet pulse
Home»Politics»The United States was scheduled to remove 11 detainees from Guantanamo. Then Hamas attacked Israel.
Politics

The United States was scheduled to remove 11 detainees from Guantanamo. Then Hamas attacked Israel.

prosperplanetpulse.comBy prosperplanetpulse.comMay 20, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read0 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


WASHINGTON – The Biden administration had been seeking to transfer 11 detainees from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility to a Middle Eastern country in October 2023 but suddenly halted the transfers amid concerns about political optics following Hamas attacks on Israel, according to four U.S. officials familiar with the plans.

More than seven months later, the administration has not set a new transfer date, and the detainees remain at Guantanamo, with it unclear when or if the transfer will occur, officials said. .

Officials are frustrated by the holdup and believe election-year politics will give way to President Joe Biden’s policies aimed at depopulating Guantánamo and ultimately closing the facility. said. These officials said they were concerned that the likelihood of a transfer occurring before November’s presidential election diminished as the election approached. And they fear the impasse in the process, which has left the 11 men detained for months without clarity on when they will be transferred, could pose human rights concerns. There is.

Officials said the 11 detainees were Yemeni nationals or had ties to Yemen. They were scheduled to be resettled in Oman, officials said.

Multiple U.S. officials said the transfer agreement, including specific timing and terms, is still being discussed with Oman and could be finalized by the end of the year. They said politics were behind the delay and that the transfer was not imminent as some logistics had not been finalized.

A senior government official suggested that Oman had also been unwilling to see the transfer happen since October.

“This is not something that’s sitting around collecting dust somewhere. We’re actively considering all administrative measures to make that happen,” the official said, adding that there are “grievances.” acknowledged.

The White House National Security Council did not respond to a request for comment.

Democrats and Republicans oppose the transfer of detainees from Guantanamo, and the issue has been a political flashpoint through multiple presidential administrations. For example, in January, Democratic leaders on the House and Senate intelligence committees joined with Republican lawmakers to urge the Biden administration to not allow intelligence funds to be used to facilitate the transfer of Guantanamo detainees. .

The control tower is seen through razor wire on April 17, 2019, inside the Camp VI detention facility at Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Alex Brandon/Associated Press

Biden, like his predecessor, President Barack Obama, has worked to shut down facilities. But while Biden’s predecessor and 2024 presidential opponent, Donald Trump, was in the White House, detainee transfers were largely halted.

Biden administration officials working to close Guantanamo say that if these 11 detainees, who were scheduled to be transferred in October, are not resettled this year and Trump is re-elected, they will remain in the facility for at least four more years. He expressed concern that the country will continue to remain in the country.

According to administration officials involved in the process, an October transfer was imminent, but was canceled at the last minute. The administration has already notified Congress that the transfer will take place, officials said, and the law requires the executive branch to do so at least 30 days before removing Guantanamo detainees.

The transfers will bring Guantanamo’s population below 20 for the first time since it began holding terrorist suspects in January 2002.

Biden administration officials spent months negotiating the terms of the men’s transfer to Oman, including measures to ensure they did not pose a security threat and the compensation they might receive.

U.S. officials said the decision to halt the transfers was unrelated to concerns raised by Oman or to last-minute disagreements between the U.S. and Oman. They said they believed this was the result of members of Congress, primarily Democrats close to the president, privately expressing concerns about the timing.

Recommendation

Most of the 11 detainees were released or cleared for transfer by the United States several years ago after a long process to obtain their status.

Yemen has been in a civil war for nearly a decade, and deporting them there was not a viable option. Although fighting between the Houthis and Yemen’s internationally recognized government backed by Saudi Arabia largely subsided in 2023, the country suffered a widespread humanitarian crisis and terrorist attacks by al-Qaeda affiliates. The situation remains unstable.

September 20, 2021, in a detention facility at Naval Base Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.Erin Schaff/New York Times/Redux

Since the Israel-Hamas war began in October, Iranian-backed Houthi rebels have attacked ships in the Red Sea off Yemen’s coast dozens of times. The United States and coalition partners continue to carry out airstrikes in Yemen to defend against Houthi attacks and dislodge weapons.

The deepening turmoil in the Middle East has made the transfer of detainees from Guantanamo even more politically volatile, officials said.

Courtney Kube is an NBC News investigative correspondent covering national security and the military.

Carol E. Lee is editor-in-chief of Washington.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
prosperplanetpulse.com
  • Website

Related Posts

Politics

Biden, Democrats, Republicans condemn shooting at Trump rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

President Trump safe in shooting under investigation as assassination attempt

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump injured in shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

New York politicians react to possible shooting – NBC New York

July 14, 2024
Politics

Melania Trump not planning to speak at Republican Convention

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump rushes off stage after shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 13, 2024
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

The rule of law is more important than feelings about Trump | Opinion

July 15, 2024

OPINION | Biden needs to follow through on promise to help Tulsa victims

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Why China is off-limits to me now

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Fast food chains’ value menu wars benefit consumers

July 15, 2024
Latest Posts

ATLANTIC-ACM Announces 2024 U.S. Business Connectivity Service Provider Excellence Awards

July 10, 2024

Costco’s hourly workers will get a pay raise. Read the CEO memo.

July 10, 2024

Why a Rockland restaurant closed after 48 years

July 10, 2024

Stay Connected

Twitter Linkedin-in Instagram Facebook-f Youtube

Subscribe