Close Menu
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Tech Entrepreneurship: Eliminating waste and eliminating scarcity

July 17, 2024

AI for Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners

July 17, 2024

Young Entrepreneurs Succeed in Timor-Leste Business Plan Competition

July 17, 2024
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Prosper planet pulse
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
    • Advertise with Us
  • AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
  • Contact
  • DMCA Policy
  • Our Authors
  • Terms of Use
  • Shop
Prosper planet pulse
Home»Politics»Laura Ann Jones: Text messages emerge in Conservative expenses scandal
Politics

Laura Ann Jones: Text messages emerge in Conservative expenses scandal

prosperplanetpulse.comBy prosperplanetpulse.comJune 14, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read1 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Image source, Senedd Cymru

Image caption, Laura Ann Jones is the Conservative Senedd Member representing South Wales East.
Article information

  • author, Terreri Glyn Jones
  • role, BBC Wales News Political Reporter
  • June 13, 2024

    Updated 1 hour ago

Text messages sent from a Conservative Senedd MP’s mobile phone appear to ask staff to maximise the MP’s expenses claim, seen by BBC Wales.

Laura Ann Jones is under police investigation over allegations regarding expenses.

One message asked staff: “Whenever I pay for gas, please pay more than I pay you. Give me something extra.”

The context of the WhatsApp messages is unclear. A lawyer for Mr Jones said: “Mr Jones believes the allegations of misconduct regarding expenses are entirely misconstrued.”

The Conservative party in the Welsh House of Lords said: “We will not be commenting whilst this matter is being considered by the relevant authorities.”

Mr Jones, the Conservative shadow culture secretary, had previously said he would co-operate fully with “any investigation”.

BBC Wales has seen messages sent to staff asking whether Jones should claim politicians’ expenses for the days he was absent sick.

There was no direct answer to that question, but a graph of the proposed expenses was apparently sent to Jones’ mobile phone.

“If you can do more than what you normally write then that’s great. Thank you,” Jones’s response from her mobile phone read, along with a thumbs up emoji.

Another message from the same phone read: “Every time you fill up with gas make more than I make. Give me something extra,” followed by a thumbs up emoji and a folded hands emoji.

When the official asked, “Are you visiting the constituency office or something like that?” he replied, “Yes, that’s what I’m doing.” [folded hands emoji]”

Mileage claims for Senedd members are subject to the member’s approval.

The BBC cannot confirm whether the messages reflect the entire conversation between the parties or their full context.

Ms Jones is currently being investigated by Standards Commissioner Douglas Bain and South Wales Police.

Police investigations are ongoing. No arrests have been made.

Police said the Standards Commissioner, who is responsible for investigating complaints against MS, reported the complaint to police.

The BBC has been told the original complaint against Mr Bain was about Mr Jones’s handling of allegations of bullying by senior staff.

Her expense claims emerged as part of Bain’s investigation.

The Standards Commissioner’s investigation is understood to have been put on hold whilst the police investigation is carried out, and police have spoken to at least one member of Conservative staff.

“Mr Jones has not received any formal complaints of bullying against any staff member,” a lawyer representing Jones said in a statement.

She added that she was “confident that any allegations of misconduct surrounding expenses are entirely misconceptions.”

“Mr Jones believes these complaints submitted to the Standards Commissioner are without merit.”

“As these matters are still under investigation, it would be inappropriate for Mr Jones to comment further.”

“Mr Jones has no problem with the BBC or its sources raising these allegations with the police or the Standards Commissioner and, if requested by the authorities, he will be given the opportunity to respond formally as part of their investigation.”



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
prosperplanetpulse.com
  • Website

Related Posts

Politics

Biden, Democrats, Republicans condemn shooting at Trump rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

President Trump safe in shooting under investigation as assassination attempt

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump injured in shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

New York politicians react to possible shooting – NBC New York

July 14, 2024
Politics

Melania Trump not planning to speak at Republican Convention

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump rushes off stage after shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 13, 2024
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

The rule of law is more important than feelings about Trump | Opinion

July 15, 2024

OPINION | Biden needs to follow through on promise to help Tulsa victims

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Why China is off-limits to me now

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Fast food chains’ value menu wars benefit consumers

July 15, 2024
Latest Posts

ATLANTIC-ACM Announces 2024 U.S. Business Connectivity Service Provider Excellence Awards

July 10, 2024

Costco’s hourly workers will get a pay raise. Read the CEO memo.

July 10, 2024

Why a Rockland restaurant closed after 48 years

July 10, 2024

Stay Connected

Twitter Linkedin-in Instagram Facebook-f Youtube

Subscribe