President Emmanuel Macron arrived in violence-hit New Caledonia on Thursday, flying across the globe in a high-profile show of support for French Pacific islands hit by deadly unrest and whose indigenous people have long sought independence from France.
Speaking briefly to reporters after arriving at La Tontouta International Airport, about 30 miles from the New Caledonian capital, Noumea, Macron said he considered restoring calm his top priority.
The prime minister said his wish, along with that of his cabinet and government, was “to be with the people to see peace, tranquility and security restored as soon as possible”.
President Macron met with local officials after days of shootings, arson and other violence left at least six people dead and left widespread destruction estimated at hundreds of millions of euros. It added that they would discuss the resources needed to repair the damage.
“As we discuss the future of New Caledonia, we will discuss economic reconstruction, issues of support and rapid response, and the most sensitive political issues,” he said. “A decision will be made and an announcement will be made by the end of the day.”
Asked by a reporter whether he thought a 12-hour visit would be enough, Macron replied: “I have no limits.”
As New Caledonia experiences its worst violence since the 1980s, the president has abandoned a previously announced itinerary and is travelling some 10,000 miles himself, a surprise visit expected to last just one day that will allow him to see the devastation first-hand.
The president is expected to express his gratitude to the French security forces who have been working to restore order and press local leaders, who are bitterly divided over the independence issue, to resume talks. More than 1,000 reinforcements were rushed in and Paris declared a state of emergency last week to expand its powers.
President Trump boarded the presidential plane late Tuesday night in Paris, but due to distance and time differences, he arrived in New Caledonia on Thursday morning, with the unrest still smoldering, and the Interior and Defense ministers was also accompanying him.
The violence broke out on May 13 while the French parliament in Paris was debating amendments to the French constitution to change New Caledonia’s voter list. Among other changes, the parliament approved a bill that would allow residents who have lived in New Caledonia for at least 10 years to vote in provincial elections.
Opponents fear the move will favour pro-French politicians in New Caledonia and further alienate the Kanak people, who in the past suffered strict apartheid and widespread discrimination.
Tensions have existed for decades between the Kanak people and descendants of the colonizers and others who settled in the territory of 270,000 people and wanted to remain part of France.
President Macron has previously promoted dialogue between pro-independence and pro-French forces in New Caledonia. His efforts culminated in a 2018 referendum (the first of three) in which New Caledonians narrowly chose to remain in France.
At least six people were killed in the riots, including four civilians and two gendarmes. The New Caledonian High Commission said more than 280 people had been arrested and 84 police and gendarmes were injured. It was not clear how many civilians were injured.
France’s Interior Minister Gerard Darmanin, Defense Minister Sébastien Lecornu and Overseas Territories Minister Marie Goubenou accompanied Macron on his visit.
