Former President Donald Trump’s inner circle continued to grow, with more prominent politicians attending Tuesday’s hush money criminal trial in New York, including House Speaker Mike Johnson.
Johnson, the top Republican in Congress, appeared in criminal court with Trump on Tuesday morning. After commuting with Trump in a motorcade from Trump Tower, the speaker read a statement at nearby Collect Pond Park, saying he was “deeply concerned” about “this sham trial.”
“I told them I wanted to be here myself to denounce what a travesty of justice is,” Johnson continued, adding, “President Trump is a friend and I’m here to support him. I wanted to be here,” he said.
His appearance comes a week after Trump helped save Johnson’s chairmanship after his staunch ally, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, tried to oust him. It happened in no time. Trump spoke privately with Greene and urged her to stop pushing for Johnson’s ouster, but Greene went on to invoke a vote to expel her, which was overwhelmingly rejected by Democrats and Republicans.
Throughout his remarks, Mr. Johnson stuck to Mr. Trump’s script of discussing the length of the court case that would hamper Mr. Trump’s campaign.
“They’re doing this intentionally to keep him here and away from the campaign,” Johnson said.
In addition to Johnson, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum, Vivek Ramaswamy, and Republican Reps. Byron Donald and Cory Mills were in court Tuesday and spoke to reporters at Collect Pond Park. did.
Burgum did not comment on Trump’s criminal charges during the presidential primary campaign, but quickly called the trial “election interference.”
“I think one thing we all know is that this was a sham trial. But if you had a chance to see this up close and personal, you would know that it was actually a fraud trial. I can see that,” Burgum said of the time spent. In court this morning.
“Of course, I think the only conclusion is that it’s election interference and that the president is bound to not be able to participate in the campaign.”
Ramaswamy pledged to continue supporting Trump if he is convicted, and later said others should do the same.
“As Americans, we are ashamed to watch the former leader of the free world sit here in court. Let’s be honest, perhaps the next leader of the free world is sitting humiliated in this filthy third-rate courtroom,” Ramaswamy said. said. outside the courthouse.
One of Trump’s sons, Eric Trump, has gone to court to support his father. On Tuesday, his wife and RNC co-chair Lara Trump also joined the proceedings.
After the court proceedings concluded on Monday, President Trump said of the court attendees: “They consider this a fraud.” “I think it’s a terrible thing that’s happening to democracy in this country.”
Trump was flanked by guests as his former fixer, Michael Cohen, resumed his testimony on a key day of Trump’s court proceedings. Mr. Cohen also testified Monday.
Mr. Johnson attacked Mr. Cohen’s credibility.
“This man is clearly on a mission of personal revenge and is widely known as a witness who is incapable of understanding the truth,” Johnson said.
Trump’s show of power comes as he attempts to flex his campaign muscles to the fullest while speaking with guests in court attacking the case and witnesses, something Trump is prohibited from doing under a gag order. At the same time, it is expanding the issues of the election campaign.
Some of those guests spent the night with Trump at a Manhattan fundraiser hosted by billionaire investor Howard Lutnick. The fundraiser will also include vice presidential candidates, including Sens. Tim Scott, Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, as well as the governor. Doug Burgum and Kristi Noem.
The increase in the number of guests in the courtroom comes as President Trump has previously criticized the lack of attendance at security procedures and complained about the lack of supporters around the courtroom. Supporters are allowed into the park across from the courthouse, but few show up.
ABC News’ Kendall Ross and Kelsey Walsh contributed to this report.
