Among the dignitaries attending President Biden’s star-studded fundraiser at the Peacock Theatre on Saturday night was Kevin de Leon, who has urged Biden to resign from his position on the Los Angeles City Council.
De Leon, who has weathered the scandal that rocked City Hall, was seen in the theater’s lobby as other elected officials met with Biden and former President Barack Obama.
Outside the theater, de Leon spoke to reporters about the dangers of Donald Trump becoming president again.
Referring to the pro-Palestinian protesters on either side of the theater, he said: “What’s at stake here right now in battleground states is the well-being of immigrants, illegal immigrants, the poor, the most vulnerable, the elderly. That’s what’s at stake here, not just a global issue.”
In a video posted online by a Pasadena Star-News reporter, de Leon added: “I’m hopeful that President Biden and President Barack Obama will instill deep enthusiasm among Democrats. Listen, this is a Democratic town. This is a Democratic state. We’re not going anywhere. … I’m hopeful that California can have that huge positive impact.”
De Leon is racing to return to politics after the Los Angeles Times revealed in 2022 that he had secret conversations with other city council members that were riddled with racist slurs. The leaked audio prompted then-City Council Speaker Nuri Martinez to resign. Many, including Biden, called on de Leon to resign as well.
“The president is pleased that one of the participants in the conversation has resigned, but they should all resign,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said at the time.
Instead, de Leon hung on to his seat despite relentless protests at City Hall, the stripping of his committee assignments and videotaped physical altercations with critics. He ran a reelection campaign, coming in second in the March primary. Last month, Assembly Speaker Paul Krekorian announced he would appoint de Leon to four Assembly committees.
And on Saturday night, the controversial city council member showed up to a downtown event that became the biggest Democratic fundraiser in Los Angeles history, but other Southern California dignitaries, including Mayor Karen Bass and Rep. Robert Garcia (D-Long Beach), mingled with Biden and Obama in the VIP section.
Los Angeles City Council Member Karen Price was also seen arriving at the theater, but was blocked from entering by protesters who sat at the gates near the JW Marriott hotel, some of whom shouted at him because he faces criminal charges.
Price was indicted last year on 10 counts of embezzlement, perjury and conflict of interest for voting on development projects in which he allegedly had a financial interest, and is also under investigation by the Los Angeles Ethics Commission on similar charges.
Staff writers Liam Dillon and Seema Mehta contributed to this report.
