Dozens of Hong Kong’s most prominent pro-democracy activists and leaders face prison terms, possibly even life imprisonment, following a verdict handed down on Thursday in Hong Kong’s largest national security trial.
Their attack is to hold a primary election to improve their chances of winning in citywide polls.
Authorities charged 47 pro-democracy figures, including former law professor Benny Tai and protest leader and student group founder Joshua Wong, with plotting subversion. Thirty-one of the defendants have since pleaded guilty.
On Thursday, judges handpicked by Hong Kong’s pro-Beijing leaders convicted 14 of the remaining activists and acquitted two others.
The convictions show how authorities have used the broad powers of the national security law imposed by Beijing to stifle political dissent on Chinese territory. Sentences to be handed down in the coming weeks and months will effectively turn a vanguard of opposition figures in Hong Kong’s once vibrant political scene into a generation of political prisoners.
Some are former lawmakers who joined politics after Hong Kong’s handover from Britain to China in 1997. Others are activists and lawmakers who have used more confrontational tactics to advocate for Hong Kong’s self-determination. Several, like Wong, are students who rose to prominence as teenage activists and led massive street occupations in 2014 to demand the right to vote.
Most of the defendants had been in custody for at least the past three years, both before and during their trial, which lasted 118 days.
“The message from the authorities is clear: any opposition, even moderate ones, will no longer be tolerated,” said Ho-hoon Hung, an expert on Hong Kong politics at Johns Hopkins University.
Democracy activists say they are simply defending the rights of Hong Kong residents in the face of Beijing’s tightening control over the city. Public anxiety over Hong Kong’s curtailing freedoms sparked massive, sometimes violent protests in 2019 and early 2020, the biggest challenge to Chinese authorities since 1989.
In response, China imposed a national security law on Hong Kong in 2020, giving authorities powerful tools to round up critics such as the 47 people on trial, including law professor Tai, a leading pro-democracy strategist, and Claudia Mo, a former lawmaker and veteran campaigner.
Authorities charged them with “conspiracy to commit subversive activities” for allegedly attempting to organize or participate in unofficial primaries ahead of the 2020 vote for Legislative Council seats.
Professor Hung said that in the past, democracy activists have held primaries to choose candidates to run for mayor without any problems.
“The fact that they were arrested, convicted and jailed for such long periods before a verdict was issued indicates a fundamental change in Hong Kong’s political environment. Free elections, even the pretense of free elections, has disappeared,” Prof Hung said.
The case Hong Kong authorities have brought against the activists is complex and based largely on scenarios that never actually happened. Prosecutors say the unofficial primary elections were problematic because pro-democracy groups were trying to gain a majority in parliament and to topple the government. They charge that the activists plotted to use that majority to “indiscriminately” veto government budgets and ultimately force Hong Kong’s then-leader to resign.
The judges ruled that if the defendants’ plan was carried out as intended, it would “create a constitutional crisis” and amount to subversion under the national security law.
Authorities postponed the election, citing the pandemic, and by the time it was held in late 2021, activists had been arrested and electoral rules had been rewritten to effectively disqualify pro-democracy candidates.
The trial of the 47 people began in February last year after lengthy procedural delays.
Thirty-one of the defendants pleaded guilty, including Wong, who has been serving time in prison since 2020 for other cases related to his activism. Four of the defendants – former assemblyman Au Nok-hin, former ward office workers Andrew Chiu and Beng Chun, and Mike Lam, a grocery chain owner with political ambitions – testified for the prosecution in exchange for reduced sentences.
The 14 defendants convicted Thursday included: The defendants were veteran activist Leung Kwok Hung, nicknamed “Long Hair”, who promoted welfare policies for the elderly and the poor, corruption investigator turned lawmaker Lam Cheuk Ting and former journalist Gwyneth Ho. The two others who were acquitted were lawyer Lawrence Lau and social worker Lee Yueh-shun.
Since their mass arrests, Hong Kong has all but eliminated dissent in its political institutions. Only approved “patriots” were allowed to run in Hong Kong’s 2021 legislative elections. And in March, at Beijing’s urging, Hong Kong passed its own national security law with unprecedented speed.
The new laws, collectively known as the Laws on Safeguarding National Security, criminalize broadly defined crimes such as “external interference” and “theft of state secrets” with penalties including life imprisonment. On Tuesday, the city detained six people under the new security laws for publishing “inflammatory materials” online. The arrests came just days before the 35th anniversary of China’s bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters at Tiananmen Square. One of those detained was activist Zhou Hangdong, organizer of a group organizing rallies commemorating the victims of Tiananmen.
In the trial of the 47 Democrats, prosecutors and defense lawyers have argued over whether nonviolent acts like the primary elections qualify as subversion, which the national security law defines as anyone who organizes or acts with “force, the threat of force, or other unlawful means.”
The defense argued that they were not committing any acts of violence and that the primary election was planned openly because they believed it did not violate any laws. Prosecutor Jonathan Mann argued that the language should be “broadly interpreted” to ensure its validity.
The lengthy legal process and prolonged detention imposed significant personal costs on the defendants. Former legislator Ng Chih-wei lost both his parents while in prison, and many of the defendants are parents with young children.
“Most of them have seen their lives put on hold. These are some of Hong Kong’s best and brightest people, but their careers have been cut short by spending months in prison,” Thomas Kellogg said., “It’s a really sad story,” said the executive director of Georgetown University’s Asian Law Center.
At a sentencing expected in the coming months, the 47 defendants will be classified in stages, legal scholars said. Those deemed “principal perpetrators” could be sentenced to between 10 years and life in prison. “Active perpetrators” could be sentenced to between three and 10 years in prison. Others convicted could receive up to three years in prison or unspecified “restrictions.”
Eva Pils, a law professor at King’s College London, said authorities would likely use the trial’s outcome to make an example of anyone who torments Beijing’s line, but she argued that the trial’s chilling effect would ultimately be to the government’s detriment.
“It creates more repression, more fear, more self-censorship, and it denies Hong Kong people the opportunity to know how they really feel about the decision,” she said. “I think that’s part of what makes this case so important in Hong Kong history.”
