CNN
—
Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin “underwent successful elective, minimally invasive, follow-up non-surgical surgery related to a bladder issue at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center” on Friday and has resumed his duties as secretary, according to the Pentagon.
Pentagon spokesman Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said in a statement that the process took two and a half hours, during which time his authority was temporarily transferred to his deputy, Catherine Hicks.
Ryder said Austin then resumed his duties as defense secretary at 8:25 p.m. ET and returned home.
The surgery was related to bladder problems Austin had been suffering from as a result of surgery he had last year to treat prostate cancer. Ryder announced that Austin would undergo the scheduled surgery on Friday.
Ryder’s notice is part of an effort by the Pentagon to be more transparent about Austin’s health, which sparked controversy after he underwent two surgeries at Walter Reed hospital in December and January without telling the president, vice president or the public. Austin later acknowledged he should have made his hospitalization public and vowed to be more transparent.
“Let me be clear: We did not handle this properly. And I did not handle it properly. I should have told the president about my cancer diagnosis. I should have told my team and the American people. I take full responsibility for that,” Austin said in February, weeks after he was hospitalized on New Year’s Day with complications from surgery he underwent on Dec. 22 to treat his cancer. “I apologize to my teammates and to the American people.”
Austin was hospitalized on Jan. 1 due to complications from prostate cancer surgery in December, including severe pain in his abdomen, hips and legs. Ryder said Austin delegated authority to Hicks during both surgeries. However, Hicks was not informed of the reasons for Austin’s delegation during either surgery. At the time of the Jan. 1 surgery, Hicks was vacationing in Puerto Rico and was required to exercise authority from there.
A Pentagon investigation into delays in notifying Austin of his January hospitalization found that there was no deliberate attempt to “whitewash” the situation, but that Austin’s staff were reluctant to share information due to privacy concerns. The investigation also made a series of recommendations to improve the process for transferring authority to deputies.
The review made a total of eight recommendations, which Austin said he would implement. These focused primarily on processes and guidelines, such as mandating training and proposing communications plans to ensure officers and their staff are aware of their responsibilities when transferring authority. Austin also ordered a review of internal reporting requirements regarding transfers of authority from the general counsel.
Friday’s announcement of Austin’s surgery came as he was meeting with Kenyan President William Ruto at the Pentagon. Shortly before the press release was released, Austin and Ruto delivered opening remarks ahead of their bilateral meeting, expressing interest in working closely together and recognizing the close ties between the United States and Kenya.
This headline and article have been updated with additional details.
