Close Menu
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

What's Hot

Tech Entrepreneurship: Eliminating waste and eliminating scarcity

July 17, 2024

AI for Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners

July 17, 2024

Young Entrepreneurs Succeed in Timor-Leste Business Plan Competition

July 17, 2024
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • Home
  • Business News
    • Entrepreneurship
  • Investments
  • Markets
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Startups
    • Stock Market
  • Trending
    • Technology
  • Online Jobs
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
Prosper planet pulse
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • About us
    • Advertise with Us
  • AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
  • Contact
  • DMCA Policy
  • Our Authors
  • Terms of Use
  • Shop
Prosper planet pulse
Home»Politics»Trump’s New York hush money trial ends with defense halting without former president taking witness stand
Politics

Trump’s New York hush money trial ends with defense halting without former president taking witness stand

prosperplanetpulse.comBy prosperplanetpulse.comMay 21, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read0 Views
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Former President Donald Trump sits with attorneys Emil Bove and Todd Branch during his criminal trial at New York State Supreme Court in New York City on May 21, 2024.Photo by Justin Lane/Pool, via Reuters

NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump’s lawyers suspended their defense Tuesday in New York’s hush-money criminal trial without the former president taking the witness stand, leaving the trial set for the moment a jury begins deciding his fate. approached.

read more: What we know so far about the Trump hush money scandal and what you should hear in its final days

President Trump’s attorney Todd Blanche told the judge, “Your honor, the defense rests” following testimony from a former federal prosecutor called to attack the credibility of the prosecution’s key witness.

Jurors were sent home until May 28, when closing arguments are scheduled, but lawyers are expected to return later Tuesday to discuss how the judge will direct jurors to deliberate. Trump, the first former US president to face a criminal trial, did not stop speaking as he left the courtroom and ignored questions about why he was not testifying. The presumptive Republican presidential nominee has previously said he wants to take the witness stand to defend himself against what he claims are politically motivated charges.

After more than four weeks of testimony, jurors could begin deliberating as early as next week to decide whether the former president is guilty of 34 felonies for falsifying business records.

After the defense rested, Judge Juan M. Marchan told jurors that the court could reconvene later Tuesday to reconcile both the prosecution and defense totals. This will be the last time the jury hears from either side. Marchan told jurors he expected deliberation instructions to take about an hour, after which he expected to begin arguing the case as early as May 29 next year. Do not attend court and discuss the case among yourself.

Marchan said he expects the count in this case, which would normally take place immediately after the defense rests its case, to take at least a day, given the impending Memorial Day holiday. , before pointing out that “there is no way to do everything that needs to be done.” after that.

“See you in a week,” Marchan said.

Educate your inbox

Subscribe to Here’s the Deal, our politics newsletter with analysis you won’t find anywhere else.

Prosecutors accuse President Trump of plotting to bury negative stories against Democrat Hillary Clinton in order to avoid damage in the 2016 presidential election, and of falsifying internal business records to cover it up. are doing. Trump has maintained his innocence and denied any wrongdoing on his part in the case.

The charges are based on Trump Organization internal records showing payments to Cohen as legal fees. Prosecutors said it was actually repayment of $130,000 in hush money paid to porn actor Stormy Daniels to keep her from going public with her claims of a sexual relationship with Trump before the 2016 election. It states that it was. Trump has said there was nothing sexual between them.

“They don’t have a case,” Trump said Tuesday morning before the court adjourned. “There is no crime.”

After the jury sat out Monday, the defense pressed the judge to dismiss the charges before the jury began deliberations, arguing that prosecutors had not proven their case. The defense has suggested that Trump was trying to protect his family, rather than his campaign, by stifling his false and absurd claims.

Defense attorney Todd Blanche said the company’s efforts include publishing positive articles about Trump, negative articles about his opponents, and identifying potentially harmful articles before they are published. He argued that asking tabloids for cooperation is not illegal. Blanche said his associates had “no criminal intent.”

read more: Why President Trump’s defense of hush money depends on destroying Michael Cohen’s credibility

“How can it be a crime to continue hiding false stories from voters?” asked Blanche.

Prosecutor Matthew Colangelo countered that “the trial evidence overwhelmingly supports each element” of the alleged criminal conduct and said the case should proceed to a jury.

The judge did not immediately rule on the defense’s request. Such lengthy requests are made frequently in criminal cases but are rarely granted.

Long report from Washington. Associated Press writers Jill Colvin and Michelle Price in New York; Meg Kinard of Columbia, South Carolina; Eric Tucker and Alana Durkin Richer in Washington contributed to this report.

left:
Former President Donald Trump sits with attorneys Emil Bove and Todd Branch during his criminal trial at New York State Supreme Court in New York City on May 21, 2024.Photo by Justin Lane/Pool, via Reuters



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
prosperplanetpulse.com
  • Website

Related Posts

Politics

Biden, Democrats, Republicans condemn shooting at Trump rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

President Trump safe in shooting under investigation as assassination attempt

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump injured in shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 14, 2024
Politics

New York politicians react to possible shooting – NBC New York

July 14, 2024
Politics

Melania Trump not planning to speak at Republican Convention

July 14, 2024
Politics

Trump rushes off stage after shooting at Pennsylvania rally

July 13, 2024
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Subscribe to News

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Subscribe my Newsletter for New Posts & tips Let's stay updated!

Editor's Picks

The rule of law is more important than feelings about Trump | Opinion

July 15, 2024

OPINION | Biden needs to follow through on promise to help Tulsa victims

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Why China is off-limits to me now

July 15, 2024

Opinion | Fast food chains’ value menu wars benefit consumers

July 15, 2024
Latest Posts

ATLANTIC-ACM Announces 2024 U.S. Business Connectivity Service Provider Excellence Awards

July 10, 2024

Costco’s hourly workers will get a pay raise. Read the CEO memo.

July 10, 2024

Why a Rockland restaurant closed after 48 years

July 10, 2024

Stay Connected

Twitter Linkedin-in Instagram Facebook-f Youtube

Subscribe