An appeals court last week upheld Bannon’s conviction for contempt of Congress.
Federal prosecutors on Tuesday told the judge overseeing former Trump adviser Steve Bannon’s contempt of Congress case that he should be sentenced to four months in prison after an appeals court last week upheld his conviction. He asked for an order to begin the sentence.
Prosecutors said there was no legal basis for Judge Carl Nichols to keep Bannon in custody for the remainder of his sentence, following a final ruling by the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals that rejected Bannon’s grounds for appeal on all grounds.
“As a result, there are no longer any ‘substantive legal issues that could result in a reversal or order for a new trial,'” prosecutors wrote in Tuesday’s filing.
It was not immediately clear when Nichols would rule on the request.
“I’m shocked that they’re trying to silence MAGA voices,” Bannon told ABC News regarding Tuesday’s news.
Bannon was sentenced to four months in prison for contempt in October 2022, but Nichols agreed to postpone the sentence while Bannon appeals the sentence.
A three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals wrote in a Friday opinion that “none of the information sought in the trial subpoena relates to the elements of contempt and that Bannon is not entitled to it.” “We conclude that it is not related to certain affirmative defenses.” Appear in court. ”
“Conviction and sentencing [is] affirmed,” the judge concluded.
