Federal prosecutors are seeking 40 years in prison for a man convicted of assaulting former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband Paul Pelosi, according to a court filing Friday.
“The violent lesson the defendant wanted to teach has no place in this country, and the sentence this court imposes must reflect the nature and circumstances of the crime,” U.S. attorneys wrote in their filing. Stated.
Government attorneys said they want David DePipe to serve a longer sentence than the U.S. Probation Service recommended, which recommended 25 years in prison followed by five years of supervised release.
In a 20-page court filing, prosecutors wrote that while they agreed with the Probation Service’s guidelines “to a large extent,” a terrorism enhancement should be used to extend the sentence.
“The terrorism enhancement should apply here because the defendant intended to promote the federal crime of terrorism,” they wrote.
DePape was convicted in November of attempting to kidnap a federal employee and assaulting an elected official’s immediate family.
His sentencing is scheduled for May 17.
Prosecutors stressed Friday that a 40-year sentence is necessary to deter others from attempting similar crimes.
“At a time when extremism is leading to attacks on public officials and elected officials, this case provides an opportunity to speak to those who harbor ideologically motivated violent dreams and plans.” stated in the filing. “This case demonstrates a powerful deterrent that violent ideological attacks will be punished to the fullest extent of the law.”
DePape’s attorney could not be reached for comment Friday night, and Pelosi’s congressional office did not respond to a request for comment.
DePape broke into Pelosi’s California home in October 2022 and attacked Paul Pelosi with a hammer. Pelosi testified that she woke up in a pool of her own blood. He suffered severe injuries that fractured his skull.
Mr. DePaap was looking for then-House Speaker Pelosi, asking, “Where’s Nancy?” According to court records. DePape also said he would have broken her kneecap if she had lied, according to records.
During the trial, DePape’s defense did not argue that he did not break into the Pelosi family’s home and beat Paul Pelosi. Rather, his defense sought to argue that DePape had no intent to kidnap people and that his actions were unrelated to Rep. Pelosi’s role in the government, D-Calif.
DePape also faces state charges including attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. He pleaded not guilty.
The number of threat assessment incidents handled by the U.S. Capitol Police increased to 8,008 last year, compared to 7,501 in 2022. These incidents include direct threats against members of Congress and concerning statements made against them.
In 2023, Minnesota Democratic Rep. Angie Craig was attacked in the elevator of her Washington, D.C., apartment. Members of Parliament and other prominent politicians have also been victims of swatting incidents, with police being called to emergency calls of false rumors. their home.
